A few weeks ago, Hungarian musician Banyek posted on the .microsound mailing list a sound competition to remix one of his tracks called 'Hazafelé'. He asked people to follow only one rule : "The submitted track should be built upon the sounds of the original track — though there are no restrictions on the sound processes that are allowed to be used, so the possibilities are relatively infinite."
With no stems available and only a mp3 file as source material, I had to do things very differently than usual. Lots of chopping up, filtering, time-stretching, time-shrinking and processing to shred the source material into clicks, grainy textures and distant melodies. After many hours of de-constructing, I started to assemble each piece of that new puzzle to give the track a completely new form. There is still the sense of time and space of the original but I wanted to tell a slightly different story. Here is the result!
10 June 2009
I started working on this track about a year ago and it has been through many forms and shapes since then. It was originally built around a voice sample mixed with some broken-beats, a saturated drone and a few dubby elements. The more I worked on it, the more I felt something was missing and I felt the track wasn't going anywhere. After many attempts to give it more life, I stopped working on it for a few months. Only recently I decided to give a new direction to the track and I used the large amount of loops and sounds I had created to make something new. From the original take, the old elements have been recycled and appear very sparingly, the vocal samples have been processed and buried to give it a darker feel. I am now very happy with this track and it is time to work on something new. Enjoy!